Office files are now easier to edit in Google Drive!
Google recently has added the feature to edit, comment and collaborate on Microsoft Office files. As a result company is making it easier to enter the Office editing mode from Google Drive on the web; by using Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
To access this feature:
- Double- click your Office files on Google Drive, and it will open the file up directly in Office editing mode.
- At the top, select Open with. Then in the dropdown, select the file type you are trying to open (i.e., Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides). From here, you can edit, share, view version history, collaborate in real-time with others, and more.
The change will be saved to original office file. However to access preview mode , right -click and select preview , of by holding down the “P” key while you double-click the file
This new behavior applies to all compatible Office files. They are as follows :
- Word files: .doc, .docx, .dot .
- Excel files: .xls, .xlsx, .xlsm, .xlt .
- Powerpoint files: .ppt, .pptx, .pps, .pot .
Note : Office file older than 2007 will be saved to newer format while editing them using this feature.
The full roll out may take a while longer to be fully deployed though it began on May 30th. For more detail go through Google Support Page.